The window is located in the east wall of the north quire aisle, directly above the altar of the chapel of St Stephen. The combination of a large Crucifixion with scenes from the life of St Stephen, the deacon protomartyr, is thus a very appropriate iconography for this location. In the fifth century St Stephen’s body had been rediscovered and buried with that of St Laurence, also a deacon saint, who is depicted in the window’s tracery. By the early fifteenth century this chapel had been appropriated by the family of Archbishop Richard Scrope (1398-1405), whose own tomb lay on the chapel’s southern edge, on the boundary between the chapel of St Stephen and the Lady Chapel. The nature of the Archbishop’s death, executed without trial at the behest of King Henry IV, meant that the St Stephen story had a particular resonance for those pilgrims who regarded Richard Scrope as a latter-day martyr. At least eleven members of the Archbishop’s family, the Scropes of Masham, were buried in the chapel. Two of them, Stephen, second Lord Scrope of Masham (d.1406), the archbishop’s older brother, and Stephen Scrope, archdeacon of Richmond (d.1418) shared the saint’s name. The date of the window is undocumented. On a stylistic basis it cannot be dated to the very early fifteenth century. However, in July 1451 John, fourth Lord Scrope of Masham (d.1455) first made his will in which he asked to be buried in ‘Scrop Chapell’. John had recovered the fortunes of his family following the disgrace and execution of his older brother Henry (d.1415), and a date in the middle of the century is feasible for the creation of the window. It had been damaged and altered sometime between the 1690s and c.1730, when two narrative scenes were replaced with a figure of St James the Greater (c.1340), and it probably suffered further damage in the fire of 1829. The window was conserved most recently by the YGT (2013-14) as part of the ‘York Minster Revealed’ project, and is now protected with environmental protective glazing.