This tracery panel was designed and made by J.W. Knowles under the direction of Rev. J.T. Fowler in 1886-8. It shows St Augustine of Canterbury (d. c.604), an Italian monk who was sent by Gregory the Great to lead a mission to the pagan Anglo-Saxons. He arrived in Kent in 597 and was allowed to preach in Canterbury by the pagan Ethelbert, King of Kent. Augustine baptised Ethelbert by 601 and founded the first cathedral at Canterbury, as well as a monastery outside the city walls.