This tracery panel was designed and made by J.W. Knowles under the direction of Rev. J.T. Fowler in 1886-8. It shows St James the Deacon. St James accompanied St Paulinus (shown in panel A1) on his mission to England and helped him baptise members of the Northumbrian nobility. When Paulinus left York, following the death in battle of the Christian King Edwin of Northumbria at the hands of the pagan King Penda, James remained. He went to Catterick, where he continued preaching and performing baptisms.