This tracery panel was designed and made by J.W. Knowles under the direction of Rev. J.T. Fowler in 1886-8. It shows St John of Beverley (d.721), an Anglo-Saxon monk and bishop of York. He was initially educated in Canterbury, before becoming a monk at the double-monastery of Whitby, founded by St Hilda (shown in panel A7). John was first made bishop of Hexham, where he ordained Bede (shown in panel C2) as deacon and priest. He later became Bishop of York While Bishop of York and founded the monastery at Beverley.